Previous update logs
Here is a list of previous app updates. Newest are listed first.
Latest stable release: V.5.1.0 (170)
16th October 2019
- Nashville numbering system improvements (convert current chords to this format) - Make sure to set the song key first!
- Metronome now has option to stop after set number of bars
- Metronome max tempo increased to 299 bpm
- Block shadow option added to connected display in Presentation mode
- Various other bug fixes.
Latest stable release: V.5.0.9 (169)
30th September 2019
- Fixed set variations issue.
- Added custom font for sticky notes.
- Various other bug fixes.
2nd September 2019
- Fix for UG website update
- Option to allow autoscaled columns to all be the same font size or to scale to max size independently
- Added 'duplicate' option to the Option->Song menu (quickly makes a copy of a song with another name, or in another location)
- Code clean up
- Bug fixes
5th August 2019
Many thanks to my numerous loyal users who have supported me over the years and understand the problems of keeping apps up to date. Also to those who have given me constructive and / or positive reviews on the Play Store. A massive thank you to those who have taken the time to help troubleshoot issues (sending screenshots, files, etc.). Also to those, who have supported me with donations (which I still find incredible that people do!). I've got to know some of you quite well over the years!
I have spent hundreds of hours since September trying to get the app able to run on newer versions of Android due to security updates (whilst I probably should have been spending time with my family!), however, I've taken a bit of a battering recently via email and Play Store ratings. With this in mind, I wanted to let users know that I am now considering removing the app from Google Play Store (and Amazon App Store). I'm finding it tough going to deal with it all! I will likely keep the app available via my website downloads page, which will also stop 'unexpected/forced' updates (as apps install via apk files don't get automatically updated). I'll keep the app on the Play Store for now (to help out those who need the update). I'll take a little time to consider my options. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Further updated the boot up screen to try to make it more obvious about setting the storage location using the red button (not using the links in the list of found locations - as these weren't allowed to take you to the displayed location unless you are running Android 9+)
- Removed the direct email me and post to the forum link in the 'Other' option menu as too many users were using this to post to the forum without checking the forum for existing posts first. I've replaced this with a link to the forum.
- Fix for KitKat users (Android stopped support in Oct 2017, I'm likely to have to stop soon as well especially after the huge amount of negative comments in the Play Store!) where line trimming was hiding the lyrics and chords. This is now disabled for KitKat.
- Fix for some KitKat users selecting storage that tried to create an extra OpenSong folder
- Fixed profile import issues caused by importing pre V4.3.0 profile files
- Some other bug fixes
1st August 2019
- Some bug fixes.
27th July 2019
- Updated initial boot screen to animate 'Set storage location' button to highlight users what they need to do
- Remixed the auto pads to reduce overloading the built in midi player (some devices refused to play them).
- Removed Google fonts that weren't available
- Fixed theme change not persisting across reboots
- Added 'Close app' quick launch button option
- Fixed some bugs identified from the big update
22nd July 2019
In order to move forward with newer devices (and the restrictions imposed), I've unfortunately had to drop support for devices running Android 4.2 and lower. I've only just managed to support KitKat for now (4.4). Android Lollipop (5.1) is now the recommended minimum. KitKat still cannot use SD cards I'm afraid, but the app will still work for you. I will keep older versions of the app on my Downloads page.
- Full rewrite of app storage code to bring it in line with new Android security updates. This fixes issues for Android 8+ using the camera, external storage, sharing files, audio file links, etc.
- Fixed song extraction issues from Ultimate Guitar and SongSelect due to their website updates.
- Added pinch to zoom feature for songs for users who are used to using apps that don't automatically resize their songs to make best use of the space available. Use two fingers to pinch zoom.
- Updated code to improve host/slave device interactions.
29th August 2018
- Updated export code to deal with post Lollipop devices enforcing stricter security when sharing files
- Updated code to improve host/slave device interactions
27th August 2018
- Fixed ticks in song menu randomly resetting
- Fixed issue of non OpenSong formatted songs (.txt, .chordpro, etc.) not displaying
- Fixed bug causing a crash when blank sets were saved
- Improved ChordPro processing (thanks to contribution by Steban23m)
- Additional capo display in actionbar (thanks to contribution by Jörg)
18th August 2018
- Fixed issue of importing some songs from online sources showing as an empty verse
- Improved identification of malformed XML files when building song index
- Opening malformed XML song files will now attempt an autofix
- Autofixing a song during editing and importing a song from an online service will now try to identify guitar tab
- Added item count to song folder
- Connected slave devices will receive host songs automatically if they don't exist on the slave device
- Fixed various bugs
21st July 2018
- Reduced the likelihood of overwriting one of your songs accidentally with the 'Welcome to OpenSongApp' song (displayed if there was an error in your song)
- Fixed bit of errant code appearing in songs extracted from Ultimate Guitar and reduced issue of rogue ampersands breaking xml files
- When using 'Add brackets' button in edit mode, the cursor now moves inside the bracket (sensibly) to let you type your tag/section title
- Added HolyChords.com as a source of new songs (especially for our Russian friends!).
- Added set name to set view. Also states if the set has been changed from saved version
- Pads can be paused/resumed during playback by tapping on the timer
- Some other minor tweaks and improvements
15th June 2018
- Songs can be edited using ChordPro styling e.g. [G]The chords f[C]or the [Dsus]song. The song is then converted back in to OpenSong format to remain compatible with the desktop app.
- Added fix for ampersands (&) in UG songs - usually throws the errors during transposing.
- Fixed sets containing songs in subfolders not saving or loading correctly
- Improved Russian translation - many thank to Sergey!
16th May 2018
- Fixed UG import issue after website change
- Fixed the adding of custom image slides
- Added toggle switch to song settings menu to keep multiverse verses compact.
- Fixed some html tags not being processed in the song correctly
- Fixed some glitches choosing link audio files
3rd March 2018
- Added custom auto pad option (specify your own pad files for each key - must be saved in Pads folder)
- Added sending of autoscroll start/stop to connected devices
- Various bug fixes
16th February 2018
- It is now possible to send MIDI commands and store these commands with songs (required Android Marshmallow+ and built in MIDI feature) - if MIDI menu is not visible, your device does not meet those requirements.
- OpenSong XML Bibles can now be used (check the add custom slide to set option)
- Toggle to show/hide the lyrics surround box (found in the fonts menu)
- When scrolling backwards through a set, PDF files start at the last page as expected
- Quick capo hint - when picking the capo fret from the edit song page and a song key is set, you will see the capo key for frets 1-11
- Various bug fixes (presentation mode logos and background images, multiline verses, and others)
17th January 2018
- Fixed download pdf crash on some songs from SongSelect
- Various other bug fixes
- Updates to some translations
5th January 2018
- Updated storage selector to try to avoid users 'losing' songs by selecting the wrong location
- Added 'find previous OpenSong installation locations' to the manage storage page
- Redesigned foot pedal settings and added more assignable actions - 29 to choose from! Now supports pedals with up to 6 buttons. Each button can be customised and assigned a short press and long press action turning a 6 pedal device into an equivalent 12 pedal device!
- CCLI automatic logging of songs now available (compatible with desktop app). Records creation, editing, adding to set (printing) and projecting. Log can be view/reset from within the app or exported as an XML file. Please note that this is not automatically sent to CCLI, but you can use this to help preparing your return.
- Text shared from external apps (e.g. web browsers), can now be shared with OpenSongApp and it will create a new song for you.
- Scriptures slides can now be automatically added to sets by sharing from YouVersion BibleApp - just highlight the verse, click on share and choose OpenSongApp
- App can now automatically import the following file types (.ost, .osts, .osb, .backup, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .gif) by clicking on them in an external file browser. The app will then ask where you want to save them.
- Hopefully fixed the ABCNotation issue that some users were experiencing.
- Information text (autoscroll timers, pad timer and capo information) can now have the colours customised in themes.
- Capo information bar now pulses a few times to draw your attention. You can also switch the size between mini and normal.
- Autostart on/off options added for pads, autoscroll and metronome (only works after first manual start)
- Added sub folders to the song list*
- Added pause autoscroll quick launch button*
- Added slow down or speed up autoscroll quick launch buttons*
- Added custom maximum predelay time for autoscroll*
- Updated themes (in edit song). You can now add any theme you want!
- Fixed transpose issue with app not always using preferred chord format
- Fixed line trimming to include comment lines and Presentation mode
- Fixed pad volume not always saving
- Fixed changes to current set not being saved when clicking on save to 'Saved set'
*Thanks go to James Miller for contributing code for the autoscroll and sub folder updates via GitHub
19th November 2017
- Updated code in ABC Notation editor to extend range of supported devices
- Updated XML file reader to better identify the character encoding (now also supports Windows-1250/1252)
- Updated Presentation mode so that it now correctly sends songs to other devices running Performance/Stage modes
- Stopped presentation order edit ignoring other song changes when editing the song
- App now saves random song folder selection
- Moved capo display to an info bar (top right) and included option for Roman numeral display of fret
- Fixed battery text on/off not saving
- Fixed capo fret not showing when using presentation order
- Custom .ttf or .otf fonts now allowed - save them in /OpenSong/Fonts/ and select the custom font from the 'Fonts' menu
- Added UkuTabs.com to 'Find new songs' menu
- Fixed preview of audio link files not always playing
- Added 'Learn Autoscroll time' feature
- Added 'fix OpenSong format' button to the edit song window.
12th November 2017
- Updated Google Cast API (Chromecast bug in the last iteration)
- Updated set save logic (thanks to suggestions from Alistair)
- Fix for songs extracted from pdf/UG that contained '&' causing errors
- Updated code for creating ABC notation (music score)
30th October 2017
- Improved scaling of image based songs (e.g. photos)
- Added support for unlimited song subfolders (thanks to code contribution via GitHub by James)
- Battery circle thickness can now be adjusted
- Attempt to improve stylus support for highlighter notes
- Fixed some minor bugs being reported by users
27th October 2017
- Import from SongSelect - BETA. This uses the website and will download the PDF, then try to extract the song in OpenSong format (if the PDF is text based) into a separate file. This feature requires a SongSelect/CCLI subscription and valid login.
- Built in feature to try and extract text from PDF files (after trying to edit PDF). Try to edit any text based PDF you have! This feature doesn't work for image based pdf files
- Added music score clip (uses abc notation)
- Added 'Random song' custom quick launch button
- Allowed connected devices running Stage Mode to receive section commands from host
- Improved highlighter scaling
- Added undo feature for highlighter
- Allowed highlighter tools to go down to 5px widths
- Added 1/4 time signature (no 'off' beats)
- Remove glitch of page buttons sometimes going off the top or bottom of the screen (not scrolling properly)
- Stopped app opening unsupported functions for image/pdf files (which then corrupted them)
- Fixed bug that could cause set item variations editing the original
- Other bug fixes
7th August 2017
- Added feature to change the alphabetical menu size in the song menu (you can also switch it off) - check out Gestures and menus/Menu settings
- Fixed issue of pad files not working for some users (hopefully)
- Fixed bug that wrongly ticked songs as being in the set if they had matching name parts. e.g. if 'Majesty' was in your set, the app was incorrectly ticking 'Majesty' and 'King of kings (Majesty)'
- Fixed some of the page buttons (when not being grouped) not functioning as expected
- Fixed other bugs reported by some users
5th August 2017
- Bug fix for crash when starting Presentation mode - my fault entirely - sorry!!!!!
- In addition to trimming sections, you can now switch on/off the automatic section space (see the font options).
4th August 2017
- New experimental 'Highlighter' drawing mode added. This only works in Performance mode and if you are using full autoscale. Allows landscape and portrait notes to be saved separately. These can be shown automatically (for a set duration, or just on) or called up manually. Highlighter notes can be edited and include highlighter, pen and eraser, with various colours and tool sizes available. Also works for images and PDFs being used in the app as songs!
- Option in the Autoscale menu to set the max Stage Mode section scaling
- Empty space between sections can be automatically 'trimmed' - allowing more text to appear on the screen (Change fonts menu)
- By request, I've added a Swedish translation (Google provided). Hopefully an improved one to come...
Just a quick note to let others know that a few users are starting to experience problems with external storage not being available. This is due to updates to Android security (nothing to do with me, despite criticism in the Play Store comments). I've always encouraged people to use internal/emulated storage - which I still suggest you do. Affected devices mostly seem to be Samsung ones currently. If you can move or copy your songs (using a file manager) and change your storage location in OpenSongApp, I'd highly recommend it. Check the internal/emulated storage location reported by OpenSongApp. This is the best place to store your files. I've played around with a way of changing how the storage can be accessed, but with limited success. I can just about make it work in the app, but currently Dropsync and Dropbox can't use the affected device storage either, so that would create other problems. I'm unlikely to be able to fix this.
23rd July 2017
- Added feature to edit the battery, clock and song title/author in the actionbar menu (from Display menu)
- Added option to email the forum directly from the app (from Other menu)
- Added 'Edit song' to song long press feature in Song menu
- Added 'Pop up set view' to custom gestures (e.g. long pressing a foot pedal)
- Fixed 'Welcome to OpenSongApp' being set as the title wrongly for some files
- Fixed Cavaquinho chords showing as Guitar chords
- Fixed 'Edit presentation order' corrupting some songs in Presentation Mode
- Fixed UG imports not always using the file name you have chosen
- Fixed theme colour chooser not working for users with high resolution displays
- Fixed option to return to the start screen
- Fixed various other bugs causing crashes that were submitted via 'Report' feature
1st July 2017
- Fixed cross-fading of pads between songs
- Fixed autostart autoscroll
- Fixed linked audio files not playing
- Lyric lines now automatically add a space at the beginning (as desktop app does)
- Fixed next song in set issue
- Added transition time option for presentation mode
20th June 2017
- KNOWN ISSUES - Automatic starting of autoscroll only works if you tap the screen after loading a new song. Pads aren't cross-fading and automatically starting between songs. I'll fix these soon!
- Fixed sticky notes not closing when new songs are loaded
- Fixed set navigation issue where sets contained the same item more than once
- Fixed issue in Presentation mode where some songs weren't always being projected (if chords weren't also being displayed)
- Generally increased the font sizes used in menus, windows and in edit mode
- Added feature to let users specify the swipe gesture parameters
- Added feature to let users set the scroll amounts and speed
- Added 'Save' button to the set view. This allows you to save the 'Current set' as a 'Saved set'
- Added option to donate via PayPal into the app (in the 'Other' menu) - requested by users!
- Various other bug fixes based on user crash reports submitted - If you experience a crash and see the button offering you to report it, tell me what happened and submit the report - this shows up on my Google Play Console and helps me fix bugs.
- Having had to buy a new Chromebook, I can now confirm that the app works well, including casting (if you have Google Play installed)
12th June 2017
- Some bug fixes and enhancements to the big update:
- Fixed the battery monitor using too much battery (ironically)
- Fixed issue for some Samsung users (caused by a glitch in their hardware code)
- Fixed tags not being recognised as verses/choruses (if capital letters were used)
- Fixed a couple of other crashes identified from users submitting crash reports
- Fixed performance and stage mode projection to not centre the text vertically - now looks more like the app display
- Fixed the connect function sending the wrong song (when receive host files is ticked)
- The 'Find new songs' menu only appears if the 'Welcome to OpenSongApp' song is showing and no songs are in the current folder
- Added a feature in Presentation mode to automatically update the projector if a song section is clicked
- Changed the sticky notes to look like post it notes. These are movable on the screen and can be automatically shown now and hidden after a certain length of time.
- Updated the OnSong database import to cope with new and old OnSong databases
- Added feature to change the text size for autoscroll and pad timers
- Colour chooser for themes now includes RRGGBB text input (for those who like manual colour choice)
- Improved the look of the popup menu screens
- Updated some translations
7th June 2017
Here it is, the big update! While most users will only notice cosmetic differences, the app has virtually been rewritten from the base up, hopefully improving the overall performance and, of course, adding a rake of new features!
If you have any issue with accessing your current song database, don't worry, it won't have been deleted. Open the manage storage option and select your original storage location. You may need to close the app and then reopen it for everything to be rebuilt.
- New UI with material design.
- New 'Stage Mode' allowing better zooming of song sections at a time. This is primarily aimed at users wanting to control a projector at the same time as performing. This also allows tech teams to connect to on stage display monitors and show individual song sections with chords (similar to the congregation lyric projection).
- Chromecast feature added allowing Performance and Stage Mode to be displayed wirelessly on a second screen
- Images (.png, .jpg, .gif) can now be viewed in the app - useful if you've taken a photo of a song from another source! There is also the option to add a song via the camera (obviously this can't be transposed, or have any features such as pad, autoscroll, etc)
- Experimental 'Connect' feature (required JellyBean+ and WiFi direct). Allows one user to be the host and clients can connect via WiFi. Client devices load songs when told to by the host.
- Song menu now included alphabetical short cuts and song authors and keys (if set).
- Added a quick set add/remove checkbox next to the songs in the song menu.
- Backups can now be customised. You can choose which folders are backed up and when installing a backup, decide which folders to import and choose to overwrite existing songs, or only add new ones.
- Popup windows (pads, autoscroll, etc.) can now be customised in terms of position, size and opacity.
- Song loading is now MUCH faster.
- Page buttons have been rationalised and tidied into groups when appropriate.
- Custom quick launch page buttons have been added (3 to assign to whatever feature you want!).
- You choose which page buttons you want to see.
- Fixed fast scrolling of song menu (index now properly refreshes after changing folders).
- New features added when long pressing on a song in the song menu.
- Chords and headings can now be scaled in the song view page.
- Battery level monitor added and general tidy up of the action bar.
- Sets can now be organised into categories (folder grouping).
- Next song in set display now includes the key (if set).
- Option to export a list of songs you have (you specify the folders to include).
- Now supports guitar tab. Start each line of tab with ;E :| (strings identified as e,B,G,D,A,E).
- Alternative tab tunings available (just specify the tuning of each string). e.g. ;Gb:|--5--6. Each string is entered on a separate line.
- Gestures and pedals can now start autoscroll, pad, metronome or combinations of 2 or 3 of these.
31st December 2016
- Fixed UG import issue (again) - this was caused by an update to the UG website.
6th October 2016
- Updated UG Import feature to cope with changes to UG website
- Updated German translation - thanks Jan!
25th September 2016
- Welcome song only appears on first install (or if you choose it from the song menu)
- Long press foot pedal gestures now included (see Gestures)
- You can now scroll through the song menu using the foot pedal up/down/next/previous buttons
- Some bug fixes
- Updated Serbian translation (thanks Ivan)
16th September 2016
- Added OpenSongApp backup feature. Also allows exporting/importing/sharing backup files.
- Fixed bug causing app crash for some users.
- Lots of love for OnSong converts (or those working alongside musicians using OnSong) - Fixed OnSong import (due to OnSong moving to Zip64 format) and app now automatically batch converts .onsong files into OpenSong format.
2nd September 2016
- Fixed a bug changing folders (in pre Marshmallow devices)
- Added landscape mode for PDF file export
- Fixed bug that caused PDF file to use older song names
- Fixed searching of songs in MAIN folder that didn't open them.
I was desperate to get this update out before all of your gigs kick off tonight!
29th August 2016
- Updated song menu structure now should make it easier to scroll through songs
- Additional subfolder access now available
- Exporting a song now includes a pdf version of the song. Make sure you use the light theme if you want a white page for your pdf!
- Fixed bug that had hidden the set key option in the edit song page
- Improved the song editing text window to avoid wrapping the lyrics window
- Added new time signatures
11th August 2016
- Added support for older versions of Android (down to 3.2)
- Set view mode now more in line with Material design and matches colour/theme choices
- Tweaked Ultimate Guitar extraction to cope with new website format
- Improved Scripture extracting (now copes with more than 4 verses at a time)
- Added 'search web for song' feature to allow you to quickly find out more about a song
- Fixed a bug in Presentation Mode that stopped you editing songs via the menu
- My song library has been removed from the app (sorry!)
- 'Welcome to OpenSongApp' quick guide song is now installed as the default song
- Added support for Chrome books without touchscreen
- Roboto font now included
- Some new icons added (in preparation for further Material design tweaks)
- Other bug fixes
2nd June 2016
- Fixed issue some users were having due to Bluetooth permissions
2nd June 2016
- Fixed bug that caused songs or sets with certain characters in the filename or contents to not load or display correctly
- Maximum presentation autoscale font size option added
- Pads, autoscroll and metronome work better together
- Pads (or link audio files) can be set to loop (or not)
- Minor bug fixes
- Various performance improvements
1st June 2016
- Maximum presentation autoscale font size option added
- Pads, autoscroll and metronome work better together
- Pads (or link audio files) can be set to loop (or not)
- Minor bug fixes
- Various performance improvements
21st May 2016
- Backing tracks now don't loop unless you are using auto pads
- App now uses built in file chooser for link files (Audio and other)
- If a valid audio link file has been set, you can set the song duration to match this (for autoscroll)
- Manually scrolling during autoscroll should now be more consistent
- Presenter mode should now be less demanding on processor time (stops freezes)
- Updated German translation - thanks Jan
13th May 2016
- Sets with embedded images now import MUCH quicker and communicate better with the desktop app
- Fixed a minor display bug that caused the comment line sizing to be ignored in 2 and 3 column view
- Updated Serbian translation
8th May 2016
- Display preferences can be saved to a profile and these can be loaded back as required - useful if you use the app in different ways (e.g. as a singer without chords and autoscale to width and as a musician with chords shown and full autoscale on). You'll find this in the 'Display' category
- Added 'minimum' autoscale font size with override option - if autoscaling takes the font size below your minimum value, you can tell the app to scale to width only or turn autoscale off
- Page buttons can now be sized from XS, S, M, L, XL and XXL - useful for different screen sizes
- Fixed a bug that stopped the app leaving 'set' performance mode when choosing non-set songs
- FIxed a bug that didn't always start a pdf at the first page
6th May 2016
- Long pressing on the pad, autoscroll or metronome button starts/stops these functions directly (without the popup window)
- Tidied up the display settings menu (grouping related items)
- Fixed issues with wrongly encoded files
- Speeded up the processing of songs (a little) - this is still very much device dependent
- Added current set items back into right hand SET menu (you missed it apparently!)
15th April 2016
- Updated GUI with menus now displaying on top of page buttons and menus
- Fixed UG import issue caused by website change (again)
- Additional Greek translations
6th April 2016
- Songs in sets can now be changed to 'Variations'. The item can then be edited as required without changing the original. Great if you want to play a song in a different key during the set, or only want to play the chorus
- The set menu has been tidied up - Set items are no longer shown in the right hand set menu. They can be view, reordered, deleted, shuffled, etc. using the set list page button (this now also appears on the Presenter mode)
- The set list icon now pulses to show changes (rather than the right hand menu opening)
- All new Greek translation has started - many thanks to Aggelos!
4th April 2016
- Transpose of Do-Ré-Mi chords now included (for fixed-Do scale)
- Scaling of comment lines and song headings now available from 'Change fonts' menu
- Deleting of multiple sets at once now allowed
- Bible verses can now be imported into sets (requires internet access - via BibleGateway.com)
- Exporting set now includes the option to Tweet the set
- Fixed import of songs from Chordie.com
- Fixed autoscroll predelay causing app to freeze for the duration of the predelay on some devices
- Fixed importing and exporting of sets with custom slides/images/scriptures which didn't work on some devices
28th March 2016
- Transpose now uses preferred key choices (if key has been set for the song) - e.g. you can prefer to use F# or Gb for keys/chords
- Each preferred key now uses flats or sharps as appropriate (e.g. C# uses sharps, whereas Db will use flats)
- Added other song fields to the search (copyright, ccli, aka, alttheme, user1, user2, user3)
- Page buttons (pad, metronome, autoscroll, stickynote, page, chords, link) can now be shown on the right or the bottom of the page
- When using autoscroll, the current time position is shown on the screen (progress update)
- Improved autoscroll calculation that better matches the scrolling to the song length
- Sets files (from load, save, export, delete) can now be sorted in ascending or descending order
- Multiple sets can be loaded at a time - allowing set merging - the order they are selected in is the order in which they will be imported
- Added new instruments for chord diagrams - Cavaquinho, 4-string and 5-string banjo
- Updated German, Serbian and French translations (thanks Jan, Ivan and Olivier)
21st February 2016
- Improved French translation (thanks Olivier!)
- Fixed bug for those using OpenChords (https://sourceforge.net/projects/openchords/) as their desktop chord management tool that caused the title to be wiped on editing a song
- Updated the logo graphics
19th February 2016
- Improved the full search feature (should be quicker and only happens when first opening the app). If you can't wait for the full indexing to complete, you can still search by filename. The songs shown should now be more compact.
- To make it easier to search for a song by key, type the work 'key' first (in your language). e.g. 'key Gm'
- Made the text on the buttons clearer to read on non Lollipop devices
- Added feature to rebuild the search index and check any errors from the right hand 'Options' menu under the 'Storage' category
18th February 2016
Replaced V3.7.1 (83) within minutes as I mixed up the song title and the filename (not always the same!)
- Finally managed to get full song search working (title, author, folder, lyrics, theme, key and hymn number) - the app rebuilds the song index each time it starts up (takes about 5 seconds to index my 2000+ songs)
- Song and option menus now resize to half of the available screen width
- Fixed issue where clicking a song in the new popup set window didn't always move to the correct position in the set
- Tweaked the autoscroll autostart feature to make it more reliable
- Fixed set export not including song files if they were in a subfolder
14th February 2016
- Improved set list view - now allows dragging to rearrange and swiping to delete
- Finally added Marshmallow permission requests
- Updated UG import script (to follow new web page layout)
- You can now specify a default autoscroll song length and delay for all songs that don't have these values set
- Fixed transposing of songs with presentation order duplicating the sections
- Fixed other minor niggles
25th January 2016
- Updated translations (German and Serbian - thanks Jan and Ivan)
- Open both menus gesture now also collapses the song menus
- Fixed the autostart of metronome, pad and autoscroll
- Fixed the importing of files (songs, sets and onsong files)
- A few other minor bugs should be fixed.
18th January 2016
- Improved gestures for autoscroll, pad, metronome - now work without opening popup window
- Added basic sound level meter to Presentation mode (to help tech teams monitor levels)
- Fixed issue of Material design causing crashes on older devices (particularly running Android 4.2.2)
8th January 2016
- Added custom storage location (select from the 'Manage Storage' option). This allows users to select any location on internal or external storage (other than system folders obviously!)
- Updated icons
- Improved Lollipop/Marshmallow Material design
- New songs added
- General tidy up of code
23rd December 2015
- Added Serbian translation. To select this (or any other installed translation), go the the right hand options menu and select Other/Language. Many thanks to Ivan for this translation!
14th December 2015
- Fixed issue of some song lines being cut short.
- Improved import of plain text files from Windows ANSI formatting (# and 7 chords being removed) - UTF-8 is the preferred encoding.
- Added permissions for accessing and changing the wifi state in preparation for adding feature to run master and slave devices on stage (not ready yet!).
- New songs added.
- Other minor bug fixes.
6th Decemeber 2015
- Fixed issue of some song lines being cut short
3rd December 2015
- Improved recognition of utf-8 and utf-16 encoded XML files (issue for users importing from OnSong).
- Improved conversion of OnSong formatted files.
28th November 2015
- Fixed issue of some multi-verse songs causing the app to crash
- Fixed issue of importing songs from internal storage to app when using external storage for songs
20th November 2015
- Fixed issue for Marshmallow users that prevented the app asking for permission to access the device storage
- Improved the German translation - thanks Jan!
21st October 2015
- Fixed Ultimate Guitar import issues
- Added recognition of usr files from SongSelect (these are words only files unfortunately)
- Added support of custom image slides for presentation mode - WARNING - Only use these if your device has lots of memory, otherwise you may experience crashes!
- New songs added
27th August 2015
- Enabled link feature. Each song can be linked to a YouTube video, webpage, audio file and other document (such as pdf). These links will be opened in your default Android apps. You will need a file manager installed (such as ES File manager) to add links to local files. You can paste in web and YouTube links as well
- Linked audio files can now be set as the backing track / pad for a song
- Added tap to set tempo button for metronome. This averages the bpm. Waiting for more than 2 seconds resets the beat count.
- Fixed issue of using chordpro songs in subfolders being moved
20th August 2015
- Fix a bug that stopped you being able to rename songs stored in the main folder
- Added a shuffle button to the Edit Set popup screen
19th August 2015
- Fixed issue that stopped users editing their sets - my bad!
- Tweaked the autoshow sticky notes option to only show notes in songs if they were presents (i.e. if no notes, show nothing).
17th August 2015
- Ability to automatically display sticky notes when loading a song (if the song has any). You can toggle this on or off from the display section of the settings menu
- Fixed problem trying to create a new song in the MAIN folder
- Added a link to follow the app on Twitter (where new announcements are made and you can comment, etc.) in Settings/Other menu
- Made choosing external PDF application (for non Lollipop users) a permanent choice
- Fixed a bug that stopped Lollipop users viewing PDF files that weren't in the MAIN folder
- Updated German translation (thanks Jan).
16th August 2015
- Hopefully I've fixed a bug that was affecting a few users when trying to open the app
- The app will now automatically open and install shared OpenSong files and sets that have custom .ost (Songs) and .osts (Sets) file extensions.
- Exporting a song will now bundle an .ost version of the song so that other users running OpenSong Tablet can simply click on the shared file to add it to their song library
- Exporting a set will now bundle an .osts version of the set so that other users running OpenSong Tablet can simply click on the shared file to add it to their set library. All songs in the set will also be bundled as .ost files for the user to install (make sure they are saved in the folders specified in the set though!)
- The app will now automatically recognise OnSong backup files (ending with .backup) and will copy and install to your device.
- The popup set view now shows custom notes and slides in a different colour to songs.
13th August 2015
- Create notes/slides within sets - Can be used for reminders to do something, bits of text, prayers, etc.
- Added popup set view button (appears on the right of the song page)
- Modified right hand options menus. More groupings have been added to make options easier to navigate
- Song editor has returned to full screen mode
- Exporting a song via email will now include a screenshot as an image (use the light theme for a printable version shareable with other non OpenSong Tablet users).
- Exporting a set via email will now also bundle the songs
- For users not running Lollipop, PDF files will now attempt to open with external viewer (if installed)
- Search view now lists songs in all folders (although you can only search for single keywords)
- Improved import of OnSong files that had strange characters in them (darn Macs!)
- New songs added
21st June 2015
- Audio player now built into Presenter mode
- Slight improvement in page drawing speed
- Autoscroll autostart toggle feature between songs
- Option to have double scroll arrows (up and down arrows at the top and bottom of the screen)
- Install bundled songs only add songs that don't currently exist on the device
- New songs added
18th May 2015
- Major reworking of the Presenter mode. Hook your tablet up to a projector, Chromecast, Miracast, etc. and present lyrics to the congregation! Currently only lyrics, but chords coming too...
- Presentation order now works! You can toggle this on/off from the Options menu. Songs can be created in custom orders from their sections by listing the order in the 'Presentation order' field from the 'Edit Song' page. Songs are then displayed following this order.
- Improved language support for default section titles [V], [C], [B], [T] are now translated into your chosen language.
- Songs are now sorted in user locales.
- Improved capo display at the top of a song.
30th April 2015
- Custom chords now added! You can now create, save and remove custom chords of your own. These are saved with the songs. Click on the 'Edit/Pencil' icon when browsing built in chords for your song
- Added 'Next song in set' to page layout. Can be switched to "top", "bottom" or "off" from Options menu
- Maximum autoscale font size value added to the Change Fonts page
27th April 2018
- Common chord shapes now included (major, maj7, 7th, 6th, 9th, aug, min, m7, m6, dim7, m7b5, sus2, sus4, add9) for guitar, ukulele and mandolin. This is beta for now. You can access this via the Chord button at the bottom of the page (if page buttons are set as visible) or from the menu option.
- Visual metronome (flashing title bar) now added
- Export song now includes the song as plain text (in addition to the actual song file being attached)
- Export set now includes the set as plain text (in addition to the actual set file being attached)
- There are now 4 customisable colour themes (Dark, Light, Custom 1, Custom 2)
- German translation improved (thanks Jan)
- User selectable language (from 13 included translations)
- Option to manually refresh song menu
- Option to show only capo chords or both native and capo chords (if available)
- Improved support for external storage
8th April 2015
- Hopefully fixed a bug that was causing a crash for lots of users in V3.4.0 - my bad! This bug did not affect users running Android Lollipop (which is why it slipped past me).
7th April 2015
- Metronome has been added
- Extra foot pedal assignments available
- Change fonts now includes an option to trim whitespace
- Reworked autoscroll and pad button actions
- Pad and metronome volumes (and pan) customisable
- Metronome flows between songs (if tempo and time signature of the song is specified)
- Various bug fixes
30th March 2015
- Added a clock to the top bar to help you keep track of time!
- Made the song title and author font smaller in the top bar so they can be seen
- Improved German translation (thanks Jan!)
- Connecting/disconnecting a pedal no longer refreshes the song page
- Soft keyboard can now be easily shown even when a pedal is connected
- Increased pause time between swiping between songs to fully allow the songs to draw properly (should minimise glitches of songs not being shown properly).
21st March 2015
- Fixed a bug that was affecting new users. This meant the correct folders weren't being created meaning songs couldn't be found and set actions would crash the app. Many apologies for this. This bug came about as a result of setting up the external storage option.
16th March 2015
- Page buttons (pad, autoscroll, etc.) have been reduced in size and can be switched off via a menu option. They are now also accessible from the top action bar menu
- Autoscroll now has an adjustable delay before it starts
- Fixed foot pedal setup button crash
- Improved support for documents created in Mac/Linux/Windows (using different line break codes).
- Various other minor bug fixes
9th March 2015
Quite a big update, with a lot of time spent on this - enjoy!
- App now comes bundled with 24 worship 'pad' background tracks (covering all major and minor keys). Click on the 'music player' icon at the bottom left of the song screen (if you have set a key for the song, the pad will play in the background). This is ideal for creating 'ambiance' to a worship set, or simply 'filling out' your sound. These pads will cross-fade as you move between songs for a professional flow.
- If you have set a song duration (in seconds) for your OpenSong song, the app will now autoscroll through the page for you. You can switch this on by clicking on the circular arrow button at the bottom left of the song screen. This is useful if you do not have a foot-pedal and your hands are busy!
- OnSong backup files can now be imported. Simply place the OnSong backup file (XXXXXX.backup) into the documents/OpenSong/ folder, then from the Options menu, click on 'Import OnSong backup'. The app will list all backup files it finds at this location. Choose the appropriate one and the songs will be extracted into a new song folder titled 'OnSong' available in the Songs menu. After import, the songs will have the .onsong extension. Opening them from within the app will cause them to be converted to OpenSong format and they will be resaved without this file extension.
- For all of those people who want store their songs on an external SD card (rather than cluttering up their internal memory), you can now specify where you want the app to read and save the songs and sets to. When you first open the app after the latest update, you will be asked which storage location you want to use. The default option (until this update) was the Internal storage (sometimes described as emulated external storage). If you have an SD card inserted, you can choose the second option - External storage. Be aware, removing this SD card will stop the app being able to use these songs (and you will be asked where they are!). You can change this storage location at any time by selecting 'Manage storage' from the Options menu. If you choose to change this location, the app will not delete the original files, nor will it move them - you will have to do this manually. This does mean, however, you can have two separate storage locations (if you have an SD card) and can use them independently if you want by switching between them.
- Fixed a bug that stopped people renaming songs within the MAIN folder.