This app uses the following permissions, with justification:
- READ/WRITE EXTERNAL STORAGE - This is obvious! The app needs to be able to create, edit and read songs stored on your device's storage
- RECORD AUDIO - This is to allow the volume level meter feature in the Presentation Mode
- CAMERA - This is to allow adding new songs by taking a photograph of them (from the Find new songs menu)
- INTERNET - This is used to import songs from UG/Chordie and import bible verses (custom slides) from web sources such as BibleGateway
- VIBRATE - To allow vibration feedback that songs have been added/removed from sets
- ACCESS/CHANGE WIFI STATE, BLUETOOTH and COARSE LOCATION - This is to allow device discovery when linking Android devices running OpenSongApp and connecting to Bluetooth MIDI devices.
The only permissions that are classed as 'Dangerous' are the STORAGE, AUDIO and CAMERA permissions. The app only stores and writes data from the storage location you set for your songs. This is not shared with anyone else, including me. Without storage the app will not work at all. Without record audio, the volume level meter will not function. Without camera permissions, you cannot add new songs by taking a photo of them. Without Access/Change WiFi state, you cannot link OpenSongApp devices as slaves/master.
Without Bluetooth and coarse location, Bluetooth MIDI devices can't be used.
In Android 4.4 or lower, you need to accept these permissions before installing the app (otherwise it will not install).
In Android 5+ you will be asked for these permissions as they are required. You can disable/enable these features from the Android Settings / Apps / OpenSongApp/ Permissions page.
Basically, if you can't live with the READ/WRITE EXTERNAL STORAGE, do not use the app (as it won't work)!